Windmills


So I'm sitting in the kikar
having ice cream with a friend
well, he was having ice cream
I was just "with a friend"
and he asks, "so how's it going"
a trade of small talk
some personal details
a trip for more sprinkles
and it's over...
my life is so full now
I have more than enough
but I'd give it all up
for a quiet night on a couch
with a good book
and something warm
So have I failed yeshiva
or has yeshiva failed me?
Does the fact that this feels
so unbalanced
so trite
sometimes
mean that I am missing something
Maybe they forgot to put
the right chemicals in the mikveh...

/the don/
I’m a magnificent failure
A master at the art of quitting
Burning bridges and crashing on landing

A regular don Quixote
Punching at windmills

Always on the search for new mistakes
Thought of taking up smoking
It would give me something new to battle

A regular don Quixote
Punching at windmills

When they write on my tomb
“he tried to stop smoking”
I’ll be sure that I was loved

/stone/
each hand reaching out
to touch the cold limestone
will sleep tonight
safe in the knowledge
"I'm not alone in wishing"

Labels: