My other crush

Not to leave anyone out

I first listened to her in 2002 from a CD that a friend had. Regina Spektor or Регина Спектор to her friends, makes me want to all at once lead an army taking over a city and curl up in a ball and have fantastic dreams about being a space explorer. Her songs are generally epic, "Us" is either a song about a love so monumental that they literally make a statue of the lovers... or a cute allegory for the development and downfall of Soviet Communism...


My love seems to have strayed a bit with her latest album, I think she's a far more successful songstress when she stays away from heavy instrumentation; but that might be just me, as she seems to have made half of the critic's lists with "Begin to Hope". My favorite album is "Soviet Kitsch", except for the cover... so I made a new one. "Soviet Kitsch" is like Radiohead's "OK Computer", a transition album that divides between significantly different periods of an artists career but contains be best aspects (IMHO) of both styles. With the exception of "Samson" all of Spektor's older material would be too adventurous and dissonant for radio play but her latest stuff seems tailor made.

Labels: , ,